Tuesday 20 April 2021

The Pandemic STORY by Kriti Palod on Erasmus+ Scholarship to study in Europe for 4 months

    THE PANDEMIC STORY

                                                         By: Kriti Palod       Batch: PGDM6

I am writing this blog siting at my home. Sounds casual? It isn’t casual for a girl who was stuck in another country while this pandemic far away from her family with all lost hopes of coming back home anytime soon.

So basically my pandemic period had 2 phases, one, doing my Erasmus exchange program (Europe) & another, coming back home (India).

Fortunately or unfortunately, I went to Varna, Bulgaria to purse my exchange program from University of Economics – Varna, in February, 2020, so I had the chance to enjoy many of the things this place has to offer, starting with the natural beauty (the beaches & mountains), the incredible historical heritage and the amazing Erasmus experiences.

I & my international friends knew about how things were happening in China and how fast the virus was spreading. We knew it would be just a matter of time until it would reach Europe as well. Still, we weren't completely aware of how severe the situation actually was and we just kept living our dream, making unforgettable memories, enjoying it and making incredible plans for the upcoming months.

On 10th March, We were in a restaurant, lost in the streets of the historical Varna when they reported on the news the alarming situation in Spain & Italy. We talked and realised the severe reality. That was the moment when our hearts thought of home and our families, more than ourselves. We knew the risk we would take by going home, so we decided to stay in Varna.

It was a 360° turn of all our plans, never knew that the period I expected to try different cuisines in the countryside - I would be cooking 4 meals per day for self, washing my dishes, cleaning my house with no house helps and no home deliveries.  That is because Erasmus is also about adapting, cooperation and evolution in any possible way!

My plan?


At the top of the list are the principles that guide me: reciprocal respect, help, support, and effective communication. I was lucky enough to have more people living with me, with a wonderful sea view, but to maintain the harmony we need to follow these principles and look through the window often. And so that’s what I did!


We decided to use our individual time (because we respect the need for privacy) to keep in touch with our family and friends back home, to study, learn, grow, develop new skills, to take university-related as well as other types of online courses, to read books and to meditate, because we knew we have to use this time in the most constructive and efficient way possible.

Together we learnt Bulgarian, Spanish, Albanian, French, German, Hindi, had fun sports and yoga because we knew how important it is to maintain our mental and physical health. We cooked and had dinners together because we loved to eat. We explored our multicultural origins and traditions and always found out new and interesting things. We also played games, watched many classical, good movies, danced, listened to all kinds of music and admire the sunset.


Another phase started by mid-May, when our course was coming to the end. At that point of time it was clear that all our pre-booked flights were cancelled and the only way left to go back home is by taking evacuation flights (Vande Bharat Mission). I connected with the Indian embassy in Bulgaria. They registered me for evacuation process. The flight was supposed to fly from Frankfurt, Germany. Being on Bulgarian visa with Indian passport I had to take transit visa to go Germany & catch my flight. I managed all on my own; I had this adrenaline rush throughout this phase, of what happens next. Finally I booked my flight tickets, which got cancelled later (17th June) and got preponed and this all happened just 3 days prior my final flight (20th June).

Due to pandemic there was low availability of flights from Varna to Frankfurt. I completed my documentations till 18th, reached Frankfurt on 19th June!

Spent 32 hours at Frankfurt airport, in this situation where Frankfurt was the only place of connectivity for the entire Europe. It was crowed and scary!

And of course none of us can understand what my parents were going through this entire situation. It was my first abroad trip. No matter how old I grow for them I'll always remain that young innocent blood.

On 21st morning I reached India, FINALLY!

I was still sceptical about my quarantine conditions. But then Airport authorities allowed me for home Quarantine. I went home (Aligarh) through a personal cab. Completed my 14days mandatory quarantine & maintained social distance with everyone for around a month.

It was a rollercoaster ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment